Saturday, October 3, 2009

Writers Anonymous

If you've ever visited a writers' group, you may notice that it appears to be much like what you'd might imagine about the atmosphere at an alcoholic's meeting. A bunch of addicts get together, fueled by caffeine, and talk about their obsession. Importantly, everyone is supportive, everyone gets to talk if they want to and everyone takes great pains to listen to everyone else.



The writers' group that I occasionally join is no different, and deliciously so. We discuss our ideas and how the works make us feel. Isn't that what people with problems do in their meetings? Having never been to one, I imagine that those circles talk to each other in the same way, seasoning their speech with their fears and hopes.



What makes this type of communication style so successful? Is it the exchange of ideas between people that includes their pain and their apprehension about what they are doing in their lives? Is it successful or are we a bunch of bums that like to hear the sound of our own voices talking about our own lives?

I guess it's all in how you look at it.

But this month, I'm happy I got my fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment