Friday, December 4, 2009

Silly Goose

How can we make more cultural items palatable to younger audiences?

I just watched The Muppets doing Bohemian Rhapsody. Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY&feature=player_embedded. (If you have a hard time getting the link to load, keep trying, it's worth it.) I'm thinking about how some understandings, bits of knowledge and art slipped into my psyche benignly through vehicles such as Jim Henson and Bill Cosby. To be forthright, I am one of those adults that watch cartoons on a daily basis--not all cartoons, but you know, the good ones (i.e. the ones meant for adults). I am always going to be one of those people who get a kick out of puppets and other inanimate objects performing Shakespeare. I like the fun of it and the silliness. I like that it has a basis in history and culture. I like learning--which makes me think that I should change my question to a memorable concept:

Children are (usually) just as smart as adults, they are just shorter with less experience.

They like the same things (we help teach them) and they learn the same way. Their experience is as limited as their environment makes it. When I am told that I am silly (which is probably even more often than you would think after I've made a comment like that), I am always amused and slightly proud. I'm trying to maintain and cultivate my senses of wonder, amazement and understanding. These states are not exclusive from being a child or an adult but increase your ability for creativity and vibrancy, all of which make for a great life.

If you, you diligent reader you (thanks for holding on while I dive wildly for the point), saw that clip of The Muppets performing Bohemian Rhapsody when you were little you might laugh and chuckle at what those crazy socks were up to this time. Depending on the musical leanings of your environment, you may have heard that song before--but let's say you had not. Let's say this was the first time you heard it. It was so mixed up that you weren't really sure that it was all one song together, especially when you add in all the different characters. But it was, light and colorful and well, whatever it was to you. Many years later, you may hear the song again with your grown up ears and say, hey, I remember that song. Or you see it on VH1 classics and sit down to take in the video. You listen to the words and although a lot less silly than Animal and Ms. Piggy, it's interesting. Once something is interesting to you, the possibilities are endless. You could start looking into the group Queen and discovering that it's your favorite band ever. You could decide that this music moved you in such a way that you will seek out more of it to reproduce the feeling. You might go watch some more of The Muppets' Show to see if there were other bits of interesting that you missed and you want to research more about. Indeed, your direction is only limited by your imagination.

The point is, the introduction to such a item at a young age could precipitate a grander and deeper fulfillment through the years or at the very least, a barometer of your lifelong preferences. This kind of cross hatch of the "serious" and the "absurd" should be broad and plentiful. When I think about all the little things that I learned about "real life stuff" through watching cartoons...and now that I get more of the jokes and the things that really are for adults...well, one wonders how you can even stomach reality television.

I mean, I do watch it all the time, I'm jes sayin'. I could still use a little more silly in my life for prosperity sake. I bet you could too.

No comments:

Post a Comment